Monday, August 3, 2009

Thing # 14: Technorati and tagging

1. Take a look at Technorati and try doing a keyword search for “School Library Learning 2.0” in Blog posts, in tags and in the Blog Directory. Are the results different?
Well duh! Of course they're going to be different. If you do a keyword search in Blog posts, the results are going to be about individual posts that include info on School Library Learning 2.0. Searching in tags will get you videos, posts, and whole blogs dedicated to your search term.
I understand how searching blogs and posts will be different. I'm not sure I understand 100 percent how I get different results from searching posts vs. searching tags. Perhaps searching posts will search the title, text, and tags and searching tags is restricted to tags.
2. Explore
popular blog, searches and tags. Is anything interesting or surprising in your results?
I decided to explore the most popular tags. I clicked on the largest word in the tag cloud, which happened to be
WEBLOG. I was surprised that the entire first page of results were for 1 blog in japanese (different posts from the same site) and 1 blog that was in spanish. Good thing you can filter by language!
3. Create a blog post for Thing #14 and express your thoughts regarding how Technorati and its features could assist you. Since you have now looked at several tools that use tagging (Technorati, de.licio.us, & Flickr), add your thoughts about the value of tagging information.
I think tags can help broaden or narrow your search. In my search for posts tagged with "School Library Learning 2.0", the tag helped me narrow my search. Tagging your posts can help lead people to your blog, site, photo, etc. Tagging is an imprecise science in some cases, but still a valuable way to increase access to information.

No comments:

Post a Comment