Monday, August 3, 2009

Dix-neuf (Thing 19): Web 2.0 Awards

I know we had guiding questions for this thing. But I'm going to say first from an educator's perspective I would have trouble justifying craigslist for first place in the classifieds category on the Web 2.0 awards (as of August 3rd, 2009). Though it's great for personal amusement and pure gross-out factor. If you haven't been watching the news in recent months and heard about the Craigslist killer, trying googling it or use the search terms "craigslist in the news" for other stories about related to garbage on craigslist. I will however admit that not all of craigslist is bad. My best friend goes there first to find ads for used cars.
I agreed with their choices in the Maps category. Google maps has the best convenience combined with innovation. The ability to see the "from the street" perspective from almost any point on a map is not only cool but useful. I used it personally 2 months ago to go to a concert in an arena I've never visited in downtown Houston (I live about an hour outside of Houston). Google Earth is also an incredible tool, but not as convenient because it requires a massive file download.
I wouldn't necessarily recommend this site to my students as place to find good websites. Instead, I might use it as a place to teach students about comparing and evaluating websites -OR- have students make their own categories and supply their own websites to see what sites they like to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment