Friday, July 24, 2009

Thing #5: Flickr Geotagging


I learn something new every time I visit Flickr. This time I focused on geotagging. I assumed that when Dr. Bishop said you could search for a location he meant you could search on the homepage. But I think what he actually meant was you could go to the world map on Flickr (and he probably said as much but I don't retain information well when so much as thrown at me at once). The coolest thing is seeing the dots on the map, clicking on one, and a photo pops up which was taken in that place. I searched for my hometown of Lake Jackson, TX and the two photos taken closest to my location was one of a cute dog and one of a family's large collection of cell phones (top right photo) by Paul Nicholson (http://www.flickr.com/photos/82879511@N00/2229151987). Both taken just blocks from my house. Not especially interesting photos and not from anyone i know, but the whole idea is still really awe inspiring and really mindboggling. Besides, if I wanted to see photos of people I knew I'd just go to their facebook or myspace page. The whole concept of this is to find photographs of people, places, and things in locations that you might not ever have a chance to visit. It also seems like a great resource for all sorts of school projects in any number of subjects, not just social studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment