Saturday, July 18, 2009

Thing #2: Habit #7

Habit 7: “The best way to learn something is to teach it to someone else.” I am a firm believer to some extent. However I’d have to modify that statement. I would say the best way to reinforce what you learned is to teach someone else. As a math teacher, I’ve observed there are different types or scales of learning. There’s the initial phase, where you learn something new. Next is the mastery phase, where you begin to apply or practice what you learned. Finally there’s the reinforcement phase where you take what you’ve mastered and repeat it in some way to stamp it into your memory. Teaching someone else is an excellent way to reinforce what you learned. However, you have to learn before you can teach. I had to learn math before I could start teaching it. There are other skills that I learned while teaching, such as how to be a better public speaker, but I don’t learn math as I teach it. I don't advise trying to teach someone something if you haven't already learned/mastered it. You run the risk of teaching them wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment