Saturday, July 18, 2009

Thing #2 (again): Habit 1: "Set Goals"

Habit 1: “Set Goals”. This Habit is perhaps my most challenging because I have an inherent fear of failure. I’m afraid of setting goals that I don’t think I can meet. I’ve short-changed myself though most of my life because of this fear. I ended up choosing high school math teacher for a career because I was too afraid of failing the classes that it would take for me to get a masters degree and teach community college. I had interest in several other careers (accounting, computer programming), but the fear of failure kept me from setting a goal that I really wanted to achieve. Recently I set a goal to lose weight, and as I’ve failed at that before, I wasn’t so afraid to set the goal again. This time I succeeded, managing to lose about 25 pounds. I set the goal differently this time. I don’t set a target weight loss. The goal is simply to lose weight. This way if I lose 1 pound or 4 pounds in a week, I’m successful. Hopefully, I can apply this philosophy to my library and be successful in that arena too.

No comments:

Post a Comment