Saturday, July 18, 2009

Thing #2: Habit # 7.5

Habit 7 ½: “Play”. Experiment and be active and involved are alternative ways to describe this last highly effective habit. As my best friend said, you can’t learn how to build a car without doing it. I wouldn’t have been able to be a math teacher if I didn’t play with the math I was learning. In another blog I did for a previous course, I put that one of my hopes for math education in the future, is that teachers will find ways to incorporate manipulatives, games, and experimentation into as much of the curriculum as possible. Unfortunately, TAKS testing, time and budget constraints, stunted creativity and experimentation constraints all have severely limited the math educator community and its ability to innovate new and exciting ways to teach math after elementary school. Practicing on paper is a big part of learning, but its not play. Play can support and extend learning.
Habits 7 and 7.5 are the easiest ones for me to apply to myself. These are the ones I'm most experienced with.

No comments:

Post a Comment